Dan Aykroyd Blames the New 'Ghostbusters' Director For the Reboot's Problems

Monday, 05 June 2017 - 8:15PM
Ghostbusters
Monday, 05 June 2017 - 8:15PM
Dan Aykroyd Blames the New 'Ghostbusters' Director For the Reboot's Problems
Columbia Pictures
The 2015 Ghostbusters reboot wasn't the apocalyptic disaster some on the internet predicted it would be, but it didn't exactly become the blockbuster franchise-starter Sony was hoping for, either.

The movie was decent, and made $229 million worldwide - but since the film cost nearly $150 million to make before taking into account its massive budget, it's almost certain that the movie lost a good deal of money (as a general rule of thumb, most films have to earn double their budget at the box office to turn a profit). Those lackluster results mean a sequel is not likely, and may have even killed the franchise.

Now, original Ghostbusters star Dan Aykroyd, who served as a producer on the new film, is placing the blame for that squarely on the shoulders of director Paul Feig. Aykroyd has praised the film in the past, and he still says it was a good movie and that he enjoyed the cast. His problem, though, lies with the cost, which is hard to argue with. The film's third act is a ridiculous CGI extravaganza that looks like it could have come from any generic modern action blockbuster, but feels wildly out of place in Ghostbusters.

Aykroyd further claims that Feig's refusal to listen to him on certain scenes led to massive and costly reshoots. Here's what the actor said during a recent appearance on British talk show, Sunday Brunch:

 
Opening quote
"The girls are great in it. Kate McKinnon, Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig - what a wonderful, wonderful players they are - and Leslie Jones. I was really happy with the movie, but it cost too much. And Sony does not like to lose money. It made a lot of money around the world but it just cost too much, making it economically not feasible to do another one.

So that's too bad - the director, he spent too much on it. He didn't shoot scenes we suggested to him, several scenes that were going to be needed, and he said, 'No, we don't need them,' and then we tested the movie and they needed them and he had to go back - about $30 to $40 million in reshoots. So, yeah, he will not be back on the Sony lot anytime soon."
Closing quote


Going so far as to say that Sony won't work with the director anymore is a pretty serious accusation, and while we're not sure how much sway Aykroyd holds at the studio, it's certainly telling that he was confident enough to make that declaration. Aykroyd had for years tried to get a Ghostbusters sequel made that would have seen the old cast hand over the torch to a new generation, but Sony preferred Feig's hard reboot version instead, and its failure seems to have left Aykroyd feeling somewhat vindicated, while still clearly holding on to some bitterness.

So what does the future hold for Ghostbusters? Well, original franchise director Ivan Reitman, who also served as a producer on the new film and who was Team Aykroyd, recently announced plans for a new animated film to be released in 2019 or 2020. Will that actually happen? We have no idea, but if it does, don't expect Paul Feig to be involved.

Science Fiction
Sci-Fi Movies
Ghostbusters
No