Careers at Outer Places
Outer Places is a news website that explores the intersection of science and science fiction, covering everything from Arrival and The Martian to artificial intelligence and space colonization.
We are looking for a Managing Editor to oversee the day-to-day operations of Outer Places and manage the content, tone, and output of the site.
- Edit and publish three to five articles a day, including writing headlines and sourcing images
- Manage a stable of 2-4 remote freelance writers
- Manage content syndication and social media sharing partnerships with other sites
- Coordinate and host panels for science and sci-fi events
- Interview artists, companies, and creatives about their work in science/sci-fi
- Manage Facebook paid marketing campaigns and strategy
- Assemble and send out the weekly Outer Places newsletter
- Work with a small team to coordinate on weekly and monthly tasks, goals, and ongoing projects
- Occasionally report on events, such as the New York Sci-Fi Film Fest, PKD Film Fest, and Silicon Valley Comic-Con
- A media professional who has strong experience building and growing audiences
- A self-starter who is comfortable with handling diverse responsibilities and managing others
- Experienced with content management systems (Joomla a plus)
- Familiar with creating and running targeted Facebook ad campaigns
- Organized, with strong attention to detail
- Familiar with AP writing style
- Knowledgeable in copyright and fair use laws relating to news and commentary
- Bachelor’s Degree in English or Journalism
- 2-3 years of experience as an editor for online news media sites
- Strong experience with SEO best practices and techniques
- Social media marketing background including Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Instagram, Snapchat
- Strong background interpreting analytics and KPI a must: Google, Facebook, Clicky
Commensurate with experience
Send your resume and a brief cover letter to [email protected] with the subject "Managing Editor"
Chief Revenue Officer (CRO)
The Chief Revenue Officer (CRO) will develop, execute and lead sales and revenue growth strategies and initiatives to achieve growth targets. The CRO will own the entire revenue generation process accountable for developing new revenue opportunities/models and leading key client account strategy and planning.
- Lead and manage the revenue strategy, teams and all revenue-generation & execution opportunities.
- Develop and own Outer Places' go-to-market strategy
- Identify and create client and data driven solution oriented sales opportunities.
- Partner with editorial and creative teams to create innovative ideas and programs leveraging our full suite of assets
- Responsible for meeting quarterly and annual revenue account targets by owning the sales strategy from conception to execution
- Build and maintain channel of high quality client relationships and partnerships
- Provide accurate and timely management information, revenue forecasts, reports and analysis, and ensure clear communication to executive leadership team and stakeholders.
- Drive brand integrations including digital, social, and experiential
- Spearhead business development initiatives that are consistent with the businesses overall strategy
- Demonstrated achievement as a Chief Revenue Officer
- 10+ years of experience managing sales and/or business development teams
- Demonstrated success in sales strategy planning and execution
- Strong collaborator that works well cross functionally, across the company, and externally
- Demonstrated ability to work in a rapidly changing environment
- Ambitious and passionate about science and science fiction in the marketplace
Send your resume and a brief cover letter to [email protected] with the subject "Chief Revenue Officer"
Front End Developer
We're seeking a conversion-savvy Front End Developer with the experience to help us execute creative concepts in the form of new site features, great UI/UX, landing pages, email campaigns, digital banner / PPC ads, social media content, and more. You’re a developer first but aren’t afraid of wearing other hats when the need arises, or of taking a leadership role to push the product and company forward.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Familiarity with PHP CMS’s (Joomla is a big plus)
- Understanding of cross-browser and cross device testing (our audience is overwhelmingly mobile)
- Understanding of SEO best practices
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical team members and clients
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator or similar
- Experience creating custom graphics for the web and email
It would be awesome if you had a/an:
- Experience working with Joomla and WordPress sites before
- Experience working in a team environment, but could also work on your own based on project requirements
- Passion for learning new technologies and improving your skill set through self-learning
- Inherent ability to solve problems by thinking strategically
- Ability to work efficiently under deadlines
Technologies we use:
- PHP/Joomla CMS
- Git & Github
Send your resume and a brief cover letter to [email protected] with the subject "Front End Developer"