Ron Perlman Says Hellboy 3 Is Completely Dead

Monday, 10 October 2016 - 12:57PM
New York Comic Con
Monday, 10 October 2016 - 12:57PM
Ron Perlman Says Hellboy 3 Is Completely Dead
After years of waiting and hoping, it looks like Hellboy 3 is officially dead. Ron Perlman has been very publicly campaigning for a third installment of the Hellboy series for years, but as a result of financial considerations, finally started to give up on the project earlier this year. Now, the last nail has finally been put in the coffin, as the biggest advocate for the film has given up all hope.

According to Ron Perlman's answer to a fan question at this year's New York Comic-Con, "We don't talk about that anymore." Perlman went on to say he and del Toro are already exploring other worlds (including their upcoming series, Trollhunters, and the still-in-production Pacific Rim 2). Finally, he said that though the project has been shelved for the foreseeable future, there is a small chance it may return, though we shouldn't get our hopes up.

It's a sad and surprising announcement, especially in the current world of endless comic book movies. Hellboy's fights with hordes of demons and the Golden Army isn't too different from the Avengers' battles in The Avengers or Age of Ultron, and Hellboy's supernatural tone is being picked up by new animated productions like Justice League Dark, which deals with fringe characters like Deadman and Swamp Thing. All in all, a big, new, action-packed Hellboy movie seems like it has all the cards it needs to be a hit.

Still, in an industry where movie franchises are planned several years out, schedules are king. Maybe one year soon, the MCU and DCU will be broken up by the BPRD. It's just ironic to find Hellboy in the one place we never thought he'd end up: development hell.
Science Fiction
Comic Book Movies
New York Comic Con