Is the ‘Rogue One’ Planet Jedha Really Starkiller Base?
There's been a rumor floating around theorizing that the Rogue One planet Jedha, the holy ground of Jedi, later becomes Starkiller Base. Is it possible?
Here are the facts:
1) Jedha, a wintry planet, was home to a large amount of kyber crystals which are used to create lightsabers…and those same kyber crystals were used to fuel the Death Star.
2) According to Star Wars Databank, Jedha was conquered by the Empire, and there was a battle that waged between the Rebels and Imperials (which just so happens to be the premise for the Rogue One film).
3) Starkiller Base was also a resourceful planet for kyber crystals.
4) The planet Ilum, an icy locale in Star Wars: The Clone Wars was also where young Jedi went to harvest crystals for their sabers. But no one knows what happened to it after Order 66 was executed.
5) Some fans believed that Jedha is really Ilum, and that based on Star Wars maps Ilum and Starkiller Base are dangerously close to one another.
Although it seems like Jedha, Ilum, and Starkiller Base are all one entity, there aren't enough facts to prove it just yet. If it is true, then that means we first saw it as Ilum, but then why was the name later changed to Jedha? Perhaps the Jedi wanted to hide the planet from the Empire and the Sith. They could have easily wiped Ilum from their database. It could make sense as Darth Vader would have had knowledge of Ilum, and if it miraculously went missing from the Jedi Temple database, he would have known. It would explain a lot, because Vader was set on destroying the Jedi for Emperor Palpatine. Could it be that Vader told Palpatine of Ilum, the kyber crystals, and the power they had? Vader could have found out the remaining Jedi, renamed the planet to Jedha, and searched for it to obtain the kyber crystals to fuel the Death Star. It doesn't seem that farfetched does it?
Still, there's a possibility that it's all coincidence. It seems more likely that Ilum is Jedha, but that it's not Starkiller Base. It could be that the Empire created Starkiller Base in the likeness of Ilum/Jedha, so that they would have unlimited kyber crystal resources. One thing's for sure: they wouldn't have to travel far between Starkiller Base and Jedha to get the crystals.
We'll have the answer to this theory when Rogue One comes to theaters December 16th!