Josh Trank Drops Out of Directing the Second Star Wars Anthology Movie

Friday, 01 May 2015 - 10:43PM
Star Wars
Friday, 01 May 2015 - 10:43PM
Josh Trank Drops Out of Directing the Second Star Wars Anthology Movie
< >
Josh Trank will not be the man to direct the second Star Wars Anthology film after all. The director made an announcement on StarWars.com earlier today in which he revealed he would be leaving the high-profile project due to personal reasons. The project, which is scheduled for a 2017 release date, will now open up one of the highest profile job openings in the entertainment industry, but judging from the organized and sensitive way in which Trank's resignation has been handled, it wouldn't be a major surprise if LucasFilm's President, Kathleen Kennedy, had a replacement lined up already.

"After a year of having the incredible honor of developing with the wonderful and talented people at Lucasfilm, I'm making a personal decision to move forward on a different path," said Trank."I've put a tremendous amount of thought into this, and I know deep down in my heart that I want to pursue some original creative opportunities. That said, the Star Wars universe has always been one of my biggest influences, and I couldn't be more excited to witness its future alongside my millions of fellow Star Wars fans. I want to thank my friends Kathleen Kennedy, Kiri Hart, Simon Kinberg, and everyone at Lucasfilm and Disney for the amazing opportunity to have been a part of this. May the Force be with you all."

For the more sceptically minded of us, such an announcement may have been foreseeable after Trank dropped out of his scheduled appearance at Star Wars Celebration last month. Trank was expected to take the stage to discuss the Star Wars Anthology series along with Star Wars: Rogue One director, Gareth Edwards, but instead was forced to drop out for health issues as revealed in the tweet below...


Rumors of a troubled relationship between Trank and his Fantastic Four producer, Simon Kinberg, have been growing steadily in recent days and following Trank's announcement, The Hollywood Reporter claimed that Kinberg, who is producing the second Star Wars Anthology movie, was reluctant to work with Trank again after his experiences on Fox's upcoming Fantastic Four movie.

Heresay aside, the attention must now move on to whoever it is that is chosen to take Trank's place. And with the tight ship that Kathleen Kennedy is running, you can't help but think that an announcement on Trank's replacement is just around the corner.

Science Fiction
Sci-Fi Movies
Star Wars